The Web Wheeler

Go Back   The Web Wheeler > The Web Wheeler > LETS TALK ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE

Old 10-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Mr. Flat Tire

really is an amazing thing....they call these small bales, "idiot bales" but by this weekend I should be sold out. Granted, I didn't have that many this year...maybe 250. I think that its a statement that for a first timer to sell out is pretty good. So there is a demand for the smalls.....especially with horse folks. Looking forward to trying it again next season....with the gained knowledge from this year under my belt.

why this computer doesn't let me download I don't know...working on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco
I like them small.
Quote:
I was bored today & polished ...... it only takes a few minutes of soft rubbing.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Mr. Flat Tire

must resize the photos as the attachment size is at issue. So I'll work on those soon. Almost ready to start Haying 2017. 3 sickles to start the season so if one breaks or dulls its faster to swap and go.

I'll have to get some other photos this year. even if someone else takes them while I work. New addition hopefully this year is a bale wagon so I don't have to pick up bales when I'm already tired.

Quote:
I like them small.
Quote:
I was bored today & polished ...... it only takes a few minutes of soft rubbing.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to Blanco
Quote:
Originally Posted by locopny View Post
must resize the photos as the attachment size is at issue. So i'll work on those soon. Almost ready to start haying 2017. 3 sickles to start the season so if one breaks or dulls its faster to swap and go.

I'll have to get some other photos this year. Even if someone else takes them while i work. New addition hopefully this year is a bale wagon so i don't have to pick up bales when i'm already tired.

You like going fast?
www.Class3Racing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopny
got the wood

Originally Posted by Clydesdale4x4 View Post

In WA person to person transfer, be it sale or just holding each other's weapon is felonius,
Old 06-09-2017, 12:08 AM
Mr. Flat Tire

well I sold my first baler I bought today. Sold and delivered it about 110 miles away. No spare parts baler...but I REALLY didn't need two for the amount I did. This brings me closer to even on the investment I put into this project.

2017 haying is not starting out well at all. Not enough rain. will not have much of a first cutting. Feel bad for the folks that have cattle/horses as hay will be at a premium I suspect this year. My output is only going to be around half of last year...maybe as low as a third. Be interested in how this affects the price of beef and milk this fall. News around here is talking the big dreaded "D" word. Drought.

I didn't take any photos of it loaded up on the gooseneck because I forgot. But I really do like that trailer.

Quote:
I like them small.
Quote:
Old 06-09-2017, 05:32 PM
Formally known as 93xjdude

Send a message via Yahoo to 97F250HD Dude
I might need to pick your brain here in the coming months. I estimate about 5 acres of our total 10 here is currently grown up to almost chest height grass in some spots and it kills me to see it go to waste. our 2 goats and 3 alpacas cant even keep down an acre of it so i think cutting and bailing is the next step. Ive got a new job lined up to start on the 20th, as soon as I get some extra cash flow a new kubota L3901 is on the short list of "needs".
2011 Ford F250 Main truck
2016 Jeep Patriot Wife's little jeep
Plus a bunch of trailers and stuff

I think I got a thing for F-250's...
Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 PM

Unfortunately this is the best example pic that I have as its currently raining and I'm not heading out there for a pic, this is our neighbors pasture but ours is pretty much the same height. the cow was confused as to why I was there so dont mind her.

Old 06-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Mr. Flat Tire

Pick away. I'm no expert by any stretch...but I get the job done.
Had one heck of a day of breakage today. 2 flats on the rake, broken spring on the knotter trip, and a broken link in the pick up teeth drive chain. I also lost the half link in that 2040 chain....so in the morning I need some spares.

WAY too windy to do much....all my windrows are shot as the wind must be gusting to 40+ now. only about 10 when I started. Don't like the weather....wait an hour or less...it will change.

Only thing I will say about bales and tractor....get one big enough to do what you will ask of it. Small squares are nice for moving without tractors. Large bales are nice for shedding water when net wrapped...but good luck moving with out a tractor. Unless you have a mower conditioner or haybinder...don't forget a rake. 5 acres is a decent amount of haying land. Classic farm equipment can be had reasonable...but does take some playing to have it still work decent. I have a #5 JD sickle w/7' bar, a 6 wheel rake, and a NH 269 baler. I do about 5 acres. I use a JD 2955 with a 148 loader....mostly because I have it, and its nice to have. Yes I could do it with a smaller tractor, but there is other stuff I do with this that a small one wont. So like I said...choose the machine to fit the task.
Research equipment in your area....and sometimes you can get someone to custom cut your land with an arrangement with hay. Buddy of mine has a guy pay him $35 an acre I think he said for the first cut. He collects a check and the hay is taken care of.

Quote:
I like them small.
Quote:
Old 06-09-2017, 09:18 PM

We talked about hiring in someone to cut it in exchange for a share of the cuttings but I figure I need a tractor w/loader anyways since I have 4 other projects that could use it greatly and if it works out right I can do this every year and help pay for other projects and cut feed costs during the winter. Gunning for the kubota mainly since I have loads of experience with them from my time working at the sod farm. we had a 3901 for in yard operations and ive been elbow deep in it fixing and maintaining. would make it easier if I know 100% what im looking at. im fine with used/antique for the rest of the attachments tho, and there is tons of that stuff around me for sale. I just have no real clue what all I'll need to get the job going.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Mr. Flat Tire

I am not familiar with Kubotas except the really tiny yard machines you probably see at rental yards. But make sure to match your baler requirements to the tractor. For instance, I have a 2N Ford tractor that is great for raking and even mowing. Bailing is definitely not its strong point...so I'm likely going to sell it along with a 4020 JD that is way overkill for what I need.

When I started with my endeavor, I did a lot of YouTube videos and asking questions of the old timers in my area. Even had one come out and give me some pointers while I had the stuff in use. Really helped out a lot. Its a task, but it can be kinda fun...especially if you have critters to feed. I don't, so my fun comes from selling off all the bales.

Quote:
I like them small.
Quote:
Old 06-10-2017, 03:29 PM
Mr. Flat Tire

hey there buddy, I took a look at TractorData.com at the mentioned tractor above. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see the specs for the PTO. I hope that doesn't mean it does not have it as you will need it for hay operations. It looks a little small to me but probably ok. A baler and a mower will both operate from a PTO. I'm sure you are aware of this, but incase I wanted you to know before you got yourself into it and then saw you need a different one. There are balers available with their own motors..but that just makes them more $$. I guess if you want to use your pickup to bale with then that's the type you oughta get.
As far as mowers go...we aren't talking about rotary type. Sickle or disc/crimp type. Sickles work great when its dry. and the teeth are sharp. Disc type you can mow in the rain or when the grass is too wet for a sickle. Most of the ones I see in use today are 3 point mounted. or pull behind and double wide (not practical for our applications). Mounted to the tractor actually makes sense due to the ability to get into tighter places with it. But its your operation, do what you feel comfortable with and can purchase.

I wish my grass was that tall and thick. I'd have more bales to sell.

Edit....I see the page loaded slow and it does have a 540 PTO rated at about 30HP. Keep that in mind when looking at balers. It looks like it weighs in around 2600 lbs....might bounce you around a bit with small squares. Mine is around 10K and I don't really feel it. Not so much with larger rounds though.

Quote:
I like them small.
Quote:

Last edited by locopny; 06-10-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:57 PM
Mr. Flat Tire

might want to consider going with equipment that has a dealer in your area. Even if you do all the work to it yourself....it is nice to have the experience of hands on at a dealer close by. works with both tractor and baler.
I went with New Holland not because they have no close dealer, but because most of the folks I talked with had great things to say about them. JD balers were considerably higher priced when I was shopping. I will be getting a disc type mower when I can afford one. I like that I made an old #5 keep working but I'm kinda sick of sharpening sickles (acquire spare sickles to fit your mower....5 is not too many) sharpen in off season so you can just mow when the time comes.
Hope this isn't too much info to gather.

Quote:
I like them small.
Quote:
Old 06-11-2017, 07:56 AM

Not too much at all! thank you, I knew the tractor I was looking at had a pto HP that seemed pretty low but I was looking at that one before I started thinking about my own haying work. Might need to step up a size or 2 depending on the hp input requirement of whatever baler I can find. I'll spec out a few different brands that way I can source out a tractor that puts out right in the middle.

I priced out the JD and quickly turned away. Certainly paying for the name brand there. we aso have a kubota and kioti dealer in the area. seems the general consensus is kioti is made just as well as kubota, with more features compared to a similar model kubota, for $5k less. back to my research!

Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 PM
Mr. Flat Tire

yes...Green machines require a lot of it to acquire. haha. Mine was about $20K. Used. But the dealer is here in town and that is nice.
I wish you well in your operation. And don't hesitate to ask any questions....I'll gladly answer or help get you pointed in the right direction.

Quote:
I like them small.
Quote: